Resume Menu with a Copyright Notice

Blu-ray and UHD Authoring
AlanBell1975

Resume Menu with a Copyright Notice

Post by AlanBell1975 »

Good afternoon,

I’m trying to build a BD with a ‘Resume’ playback menu that appears when the disc is reinserted. However, when the disc is first played I want a ‘Copyright’ notice at the head of the disc with a disabled ‘Top Menu’. My assumpton is that if the ‘Copyright’ movie is set as ‘first play’ the disc will not be able to activate the [load from storage] command in order to resume playback.

To get this to work, I’ve placed all the menus in one JAR (00000) and the ‘Copyright’ movie is activated in a separate JAR (00002).

The On JAR startup is a Switch with all the necessary commands listed to enable ‘Resume’ (see attached). If the disc has not been played before, the player ignores the [CanResume] commands and alights on a ‘Multi-Action’ that uploads JAR 00002, playing the 'copyright' notice.
01.JPG
01.JPG (68.88 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
The ‘End Action’ of the ‘Copyright’ movie (see attached) is a Multi-Action that then re-uploads JAR 00000. The player then goes through the list, ignoring the [CanResume] commands and alights on a [CanDiscResume] which launches the ‘Main Menu’.
02.JPG
02.JPG (49.86 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
This works as I had hoped, the disc plays the ‘Copyright’ first (which cannot be skipped as the 'Top Menu' call is disabled) and then links to the main menu. Plus, if the disc is ejected/re-inserted the ‘Resume’ menu appears on insertion.

However, I’m concerned that this is not the best way to achieve this result, and worry that there may be unexpected consequences. Is there a better way to approach this or has it been programmed correctly?

Thank you.

Alexey Kolesnikov

Re: Resume Menu with a Copyright Notice

Post by Alexey Kolesnikov »

Hello Alan,

Well... there are several ways to do it. Your approach is fine enough.

Alternatively you can do it in the next way:
- you can use HasDataInStorage in SWITCH to check if something was already written to the storage - it just checks for the settings file in the storage
- you can set "Project properties" -> "JAR signing" -> "Disc settings" to "Restore on disc load" - in that case you do not need to use [load from storage] command
- all CanResume('...') conditions can be combined in one condition using "|":
CanResume('Movie') | CanResume('MakingOf') | ... -> Menu Resume [yes]
- you can start with the JAR 00002 that contains a copyright and use exclusive SWITCH:
if [HasDataInStorage] -> select title 00000
Play Movie Copyright
Best regards,
Alexey Kolesnikov

AlanBell1975

Post by AlanBell1975 »

Thanks for the prompt response Alexey.

As stated previously, the 'resume' function is working fine when the disc is re-inserted, it plays the movie from where it left off. However, if I then select a different movie and eject the disc, when re-inserted it plays the initial movie rather than the second selection.

I have noticed that if I let the first movie play through until the end and then choose a separate clip, when ejected/re-inserted it will resume at the second clip. Therefore, it appears that the first movie has to have ended before making another selection, otherwise the player will always resume at the first movie. Is this normal or has my programming caused this?

Thanks in advance.

Alexey Kolesnikov

You should check your command on "Yes" button in the "Resume" menu.
If it similar to what you have on a screenshot - yes, it will start the first movie where resume is possible.
To avoid this you should store the last started movie in the GPR or user parameter (variable) and check it in the "Resume" menu.
Also you will need to enable saving of GPRs or user parameters (variables) in the "Project properties" -> "Advanced" -> "Storing parameters/GPRs".
Best regards,
Alexey Kolesnikov

AlanBell1975

Post by AlanBell1975 »

Hi Alexey,

I apologise for my ignorance, but I assumed storing the last movie in the GPR would be simple. After a few days of trying to do this I'm no further along.

Can you give me any pointers?

Alan.

Alexey Kolesnikov

For example, you can use GPR[1].
In that case you should convert all "Play MOVIE" commands into Multi-Actions (just select Multi-Action - it will add existing command into it).
And in that multi-action add "Settings and properties" -> "Set GPR/parameter". Specify GPR[1] and use, for example, value "1" for the MainMovie, "2" for the MakingOf, "3" for BST, and so on.
Then go to the "Project properties" -> Advanced -> "Storing parameters/GPRs" -> "Store first" "1" "GPRs in storage".
Now all your resume commands should look like:
If [GPR(1)=1 & CanResume('MainMovie')] -> ...
If [GPR(1)=2 & CanResume('MakingOf')] -> ...
Best regards,
Alexey Kolesnikov

AlanBell1975

Post by AlanBell1975 »

Hi Alexey,

I've followed what you've said but it's not made any difference, the discs still 'resumes' from when the disc was last ejected rather than from what may have been selected in the interim.

I appreciate this is something I'm doing wrong, below are screen-grabs which may show up my mistakes.
Multi-Action Movie
Multi-Action Movie
03.JPG (63.08 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
Top Menu
Top Menu
05.JPG (61.5 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
Resume Menu
Resume Menu
06.JPG (45.19 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
Any help would be appreciated.

Alan.

Alexey Kolesnikov

Hi Alan,

Did you set "Project properties" -> Advanced -> "Storing parameters/GPRs" -> Store first ... GPRs in storage to "1"?
Best regards,
Alexey Kolesnikov

AlanBell1975

Post by AlanBell1975 »

Yes Alexey, I did.

Alexey Kolesnikov

Could you send a .BDMD project file?
Best regards,
Alexey Kolesnikov